Photon Energy's 108kWp installation is back at Bournemouth University
After the success of the last two installations, first in December 2014 where Photon Energy were asked to complete a 27.5kWp system on the newly constructed Student Centre, which initially was the most carbon efficient building on the campus. The second installation took place on their Fusion Building, a 95.22kWp system which opened in June 2016. The array has provided the University with more than 100,000kWh of electricity annually. The third installation was the universities Facilities Block, to retrofit 145.45kWp of solar PV. Fourth, a 41.40kWp installation for their waste compound. Photon Energy were asked to come back and install the 108kWp solar PV modules for their new teaching facility building ‘Poole Gateway House’. This system consists of 300 x Sunpower 360Wp PV modules to be mounted on K2 bespoke triangles tilted at 10˚ from the horizontal.
The Poole Gateway Building will provide support for undergraduate and postgraduate courses as well as being a research facility. Designed to form a new visual gateway to the campus and it’s parkland, the project has being built as part of a wider £100m programme to expand facilities at the university, with the recent growth in student numbers.
A high specification system was selected featuring Sunpower modules and SolarEdge inverters. By combining the highest efficiency modules available worldwide, with SolarEdge technology, Bournemouth University could be confident that the arrays were delivering an optimal performance.
Working alongside Willmott Dixon, Photon Energy’s role was to assist in achieving high levels of carbon reduction in all areas of the construction process. BU is investing in energy efficient equipment such as lighting, building management controls, boilers and heating systems to help run the estate as efficiently as possible.
Abu Luswata, Senior Project Engineer of Photon Energy said:
“It was a pleasure to be asked to come back and work with Willmott Dixon on such an interesting project committed to having a positive impact on the environment, demonstrating the commitment of the University to reduce its carbon footprint. This will not only benefit the university but also create awareness about renewable energy for staff and students alike. We look forward to working again on any further developments.”
Ben Heath, Construction Manager at Willmott Dixon said:
“It’s a pleasure to work with Photon Energy, their project managers and site team are very professional throughout the design and installation process. We are very happy with the quality of work provided and we would not hesitate to work with them again in the future.”
- 4 Sep 2017 Photon install solar PV for High Speed Rail training college 4 Sep 2017
- 8 Nov 2017 SunPower for Coventry Uni's Science and Health Building 8 Nov 2017
- 2 Apr 2018 BAM Energy funds 140 kWp solar PV array for Three Rivers Academy 2 Apr 2018
- 29 Jun 2018 Tesla Powerpacks installed for Manchester Science Park 29 Jun 2018
- 1 Oct 2018 242 kWp Solar PV installation for NW Bicester Eco Town 1 Oct 2018
- 23 Oct 2018 Photon Energy win SPP Award for best residential array 23 Oct 2018
- 4 Dec 2018 Photon install 384 kWp of SunPower for Cambridge University 4 Dec 2018
- 6 Feb 2019 Solar plus storage pilot project for Prologis 6 Feb 2019
- 1 Aug 2019 Photon Energy's 108kWp installation is back at Bournemouth University 1 Aug 2019