SunPower for Coventry Uni's Science and Health Building
Photon Energy is delighted that Coventry University's new Science and Health building, featuring our 51 kWp SunPower solar PV array, is now open to students.
Coventry University’s new £37 million Science and Health Building, built by BAM Construct UK, has consolidated the existing teaching and research facilities into a new five-storey, 12,000 m2 building that houses state-of-the-art healthcare simulation, research and ‘super-lab’ environments.
The world-class facilities, capable of accommodating up to 240 students, include a mock operating theatre, fully-equipped ambulance and community house to demonstrate the latest developments in assistive living technologies.
NG Bailey, responsible for the building services for this project, awarded Photon Energy the contract to build the 51 kWp installation in early 2016. Our installation team had to mobilise quickly in order to meet the University’s tight timescale, which required a major part of the roofworks to be completed during the academic summer break of 2016.
High efficiency, SunPower 327W monocrystalline PV modules were selected in order to provide the maximum energy generation from the limited roof space. The K2 D-Dome mounting system was used to fix the 156 modules, which were then connected to Zeversolar inverters. A Zevercom datalogger was installed to allow 24 hour monitoring of the PV system performance and a Solarfox display unit was installed in the reception area of the new building.
Lefteris Giraleas, Senior Engineer at Photon Energy said “we worked in collaboration with NG Bailey and BAM to come up with the ideal design for the PV system within the available roof space. We were pleased to be able to ultimately deliver a solution that worked well for the University.”
The energy generated by the solar PV will help the building to achieve a BREEAM ‘Excellent’ rating.
Steve Butler, Project Manager at NG Bailey said: “Photon Energy made a great effort to be on-site at very short notice and have designed a system using high quality products that will maximise the output from the flat roof space available.”
- 23 Sep 2019 Photon Energy Win Big at the Solar & Storage Awards 2019 23 Sep 2019
- 19 Aug 2019 Photon Energy's 108kWp installation is back at Bournemouth University 19 Aug 2019
- 6 Feb 2019 Solar plus storage pilot project for Prologis 6 Feb 2019
- 4 Dec 2018 Photon install 384 kWp of SunPower for Cambridge University 4 Dec 2018
- 23 Oct 2018 Photon Energy win SPP Award for best residential array 23 Oct 2018
- 1 Oct 2018 242 kWp Solar PV installation for NW Bicester Eco Town 1 Oct 2018
- 29 Jun 2018 Tesla Powerpacks installed for Manchester Science Park 29 Jun 2018
- 2 Apr 2018 BAM Energy funds 140 kWp solar PV array for Three Rivers Academy 2 Apr 2018
- 8 Nov 2017 SunPower for Coventry Uni's Science and Health Building 8 Nov 2017
- 4 Sep 2017 Photon install solar PV for High Speed Rail training college 4 Sep 2017